Personal Use of University Resources
- To restrict the use of university resources for personal use and to describe the process ASU employees, who have committed any university resources for personal use, must follow to reimburse ASU.
- ASU employees should not use university property and equipment for personal benefit. However, if incidental personal use does occur, e.g., using a university telephone (stationary or cellular telephone) and incurring toll charges or using a photocopy machine to produce photocopies, the university employee is responsible for reimbursing the university. Payment is to be made at Cashiering Services and deposited to the agency/org and object/sub-object code in which the cost was incurred. If the object/sub-object code for the expenditure cannot be determined, use of object/sub-object code 7390 99 (other expenses) is acceptable.
- When a university department acquires equipment, such as a cellular telephone, for one of its employees, the equipment must further a university and public purpose, and be specifically needed. The need for a cellular telephone, for example, might be that an employee who is frequently out of the office needs to make or receive calls while out of the office.
- Each org manager is responsible for monitoring these expenditures on monthly agency/org reports and for establishing a procedure within his or her area of responsibility to ensure compliance with this policy on the personal use of university resources. Each org manager or designee should at least review the monthly listing of telephone charges for toll charges incurred from possible personal telephone use (Advantage report TC0110–01). Org managers should also consider establishing and maintaining within their offices a telephone log of all long-distance calls, recording the organization/person called and the date of the call.
If ASU employees need to make personal toll telephone calls while at work, the employee should either charge the call to:
Their own telephone credit card
Their home telephone number.
- ASU employees should not use university equipment and property for photocopying or other services. These services should be obtained either from coin-operated machines located on the campus or from an off-campus vendor.
- Violation of this policy could, in certain situations, result in the need for a police investigation.